Read the Why-How to find why to use firefox and how to use it optimally.
Install the Adblock extension.
Advantages of Adblock:
- Very easy to enable/disable temporarily
- Can block images/scripts/flash/iframes
- Lists which images/scripts have been blocked (in the status bar)
- Can prevent ads from being downloaded (not just hide)
- Can alpabetically sorts your blocked list
- Can use very selective wildcards (and regexps if you know how to)
- Can be invoked right from the status-bar
- Renders Flash-click-to-view, Nuke image, Nuke anything, and a ton of small extensions obsolete!
Some sites, like yahoo think they know better than you when you're allowed to store the password, and when not.
However, the geek in you wants to surf the web your way, not their way - correct?
What you need to do is to create a bookmarklet.
Drag and drop the "remember password" box from Jesse's bookmarklets to your bookmarks toolbar.
Your profile is stored in %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox
Your profile folder contains the following important files:
- bookmarks.html (Bookmars or Favorites)
- signons.txt and key3.db (Stored Passwords)
- cookies.txt and hostperm.1 (Stored Cookies)
- user.js and prefs.js (Firebird settings)
You should backup your profile folder before attempting to tweak Firefox.
Depending on your comfort level, you can try:
1. Select Tools followed by Options. Fool around with various options, especially in privacy and advanced.
2. Type about:config in the address bar, look for things that look familiar. Try tweaking some true/false values ;-)
3. Once you know which settings you always want to keep, store them in user.js
You can assign parameters that are picked up by firefox on startup
(Note: user.js does not exist by default, you must create it)
Here's a sample user.js
prefs.js is automatically regenerated each time you close your browser, depending on the changes you made using menus, or directly using about:config
user.js on the other hand, overrides the settings in prefs.js, and loads up known, good, trusted configuration values you placed there.
Check out these instructions. Be sure to read the third comment.